Almost after our big decision of getting married or getting settled with one person, the next big step a woman plans is to have a baby. Having a baby changes a woman’s life altogether and brings new relationships and ways of living. While most of us successfully go through these phase, there are a lot of women who try hard but still are unable to have the happiness as they plan.
What is infertility?
Infertility is the inability to conceive pregnancy even after a year into trying or six months if the woman is 35 years of age or older. The women who can get pregnant but have miscarriages are also called infertile. Usually infertility is a result of some diseases, improper trying to get pregnant, and inability to secure the health issues or no proper care of the pregnancy symptoms. To get pregnant the following steps must be secured, they are:
- Ovulation: Release off eggs from the female’s ovaries
- Match: The egg passes through the Fallopian tube into the uterus
- Fertilize: The man’s eggs must join the women’s eggs during the matching.
- Implantation: The fertilized egg shall attach to the inside of the uterus
If there is any problem in any of the four steps, infertility is caused. Sometimes infertility may also cause due to heath issues and problems in either of the person’s part.
What causes female infertility?
Infertility can be caused for many reasons it’s not only the female’s concern. Infertility may be a cause of men’s problems, the female’s concerns or sometimes even a joint inability to achieve so; the chances of all are equal. Most of female infertility cases arise when the woman is not ovulating, without ovulation the female eggs is not fertilized. This can be tracked by knowing the menstrual irregularity and absence.
The causes of female infertility can be any of the following:
- Poly-cystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS): The most widely known and common problem with women is the PCOS which is basically a hormonal imbalance problem which does not let the normal ovulation happen.
- Primary ovarian insufficiency (POI): It is a case where the woman’s ovary stops working normally before hitting menopause. The inability to produce ovum is termed as POI.
- Blocked Fallopian tubes: This may be a result of some surgery or pelvic inflammatory diseases.
- Physical problems with uterus: The shape, size and even the infections
- Uterine fibroids: These are non-cancerous clumps of tissues on the walls of the uterus which does not let the ovulation happen.
- Smoking and drinking: Sometimes over drinking or smoking makes the ovaries unable to produce eggs.
How does age affect infertility?
Age is an important factor while planning a baby. The young body is more capable of reproducing compared to the old or aged body. Statistics show that women generally have their babies in late 20s or early 30s. Maximum of the women have their first babies before hitting the age of 35. With increasing age various diseases and problems start taking hold of the body making it difficult to cater. Common factors which affect infertility due to age are:
- Ovaries becoming incompetent to produce much eggs
- Eggs are not as healthy as they should be
- Health problems causing infertility
- Weak body
Can acupuncture boost fertility?
Acupuncture is the staple art in China since decades and has been influencing therapeutic and medicinal world for years now. The theory says that vital energy in our body flow through certain pathways. Acupuncturists try to balance these energies and restore our health by stimulating these energy points through the help of thin needles. Studies show varied results in the findings of women undergoing acupuncture treatment for getting their fertility restored. Where varied short term researches have shown positive results, there are cases where the effects and results are still awaited. There are chances of getting beneficial indirect results from acupuncture which can cause to fight with female infertility.
- Acupuncture increases the blood flow in the body and hence makes blood reach the uterus, making it healthy and relax the muscle tissues and giving the embryo a better chance to implant eggs.
- Acupuncture helps relieve stress. Stress is one of the key factors that decreases the eggs production in the ovaries and hence makes it impossible to get pregnant. Relieving stress might just help a lot of people to fight infertility.
- Regular treatments make the body more capable to produce eggs in women and sperms in men.
Acupuncture might just help you to deal with the infertility indirectly; there have been positive results in research.
How can female infertility be treated?
Female infertility treatment is difficult to track without knowing the proper reason behind it. Doctors generally sit with the couple and discuss their health and sexual history. There are tests and examinations done and a proper test is determined o check the ability of both the partners in fertility. In men the sperm count, shape and size is the major factor determining the fertility. In women, doctors check if she is ovulation well and in time. She is required to:
- Keep a check on her body temperatures very morning for months
- Note how her cervical mucus looks like daily
- Use a home ovulation kit
The check of ovulation can be done through blood tests, ultrasound or other tests like:
- Hysterosalpingography: This is an x-ray that is done by inserting a special dye into the uterus through vagina. The dye is seen in an x-ray and is checked if the dye can move freely from uterus to the fallopian tubes to find if any blockage exists which may be preventing the eggs from fertilizing.
- Laparoscopy: Laparoscopy is a small surgery done with the help of laparoscope which is a special tool through which the doctor finds the possible diseases and problems in ovaries, fallopian tubes to uterus.
After knowing about the possible infertility reasons, doctors find ways of treating the infertility which can be surgical, medicinal, artificial insemination, reproductive technology etc.
- Medicines: There are oral as well as injected medicines available to increases the eggs count, the blood flow or the hormones which make the body unable to ovulate.
- Artificial insemination: In this the woman is injected with specially prepared sperm to give birth to a baby. This happens when the woman has problems in her cervical mucus, or the male impotency or inability to find infertility reasons
- Assisted reproductive technology: It is like giving birth to the baby artificially where the female eggs and male sperms are taken out and mixed to form embryos and then put back into the woman’s body.
Common causes of infertility and their solutions
The doctors treat infertility based on the problems which cause infertility in women. Finding the root cause of infertility is the trickiest and thus very important too. Infertility can be caused due to many reasons like:
- Ageing of the couple
- Solution: Generally oral medicines and injections are chosen to treat the ovulating problems in ageing couples. If the medicines don’t work then more advanced tests are performed and artificial insemination or reproductive technologies are used.
- Smoking and drinking
- Solution: This is one factor which can be worked on by the couple themselves.
- Solution: Acupuncture and natural therapies work in lowering down the stress. Couples are advised to take a break and go on holidays or fight with the stressing problems to overcome them and include happiness in their lives.
- Poor diet
- Solution: Doctors generally advise to get the diet and health in check and maintain a healthy diet for a healthy test result and pregnancy in future.
- Overweight or underweight
- Solution: Weight is a factor because weight cause hormonal imbalance in the body. Overweight or underweight people have unstable hormones and thus can be difficult for women to conceive in those conditions. Usually treated with medicines and injects, bringing the desired weight is a solution too.
- Solution: It is the most critical problem in infertility as it is not easily tracked without going through the tests. Generally treated with medicines and weight loss regimes, PCOS is a must test to be taken by women.
- Sexually transmitted diseases
- Solution: These come in form of infections and sometimes even as diseases which make the body incapable of producing eggs. The treatment entirely depends of the disease that is transmitted.
Having a baby is the greatest joy in a woman’s life while infertility is not a choice and can be cured with a little better lifestyle choice its always better to have a preventive approach towards your health. Infertility is not very difficult to treat and so let it not cover you in depression and sadness, fight with it with much vigour and courage.