Rectal thermometers are usually limited to taking temperatures of your baby, with exceptions of aging adults who are severely ill. Rectal thermometers provide accurate results babies who are less than 3 months old, generally because of the difficulties of using an oral or an electronic ear thermometer.
However extreme care must be taken while measuring temperature through the rectum. Incorrect use of the rectal thermometer can cause the rectal wall to be pierced or any other kind of severe pain.
Refrain from taking temperatures rectally when the baby has been swaddled for the past 20 to 30 minutes or has just been bathed. This can cause abnormal or inaccurate readings.
You can apply any lubricant such as a water soluble jelly at the tip of the thermometer for an easier insertion. Care must be taken so that the thermometer is not inserted more than 1/2 inch inside the rectum. Always wash the tip of the thermometer after every use before storing it away.
What should You Look for Before Buying a Rectal Thermometer?
Measuring the temperature of your child by using rectal thermometers can be a bit of a hassle for both you and the baby. However with the recent technological advances, this process has been made quite easy, no more crying babies during the flu season!
- Accuracy: While buying your thermometer, always look how accurately it gives results. It can have all other fancy features but if it fails in the accuracy category then you might as well use anything else.
- Usage: You want a thermometer that is easy to handle. You already got enough problems with your baby being sick. The device should be able to checks your infant’s temperature in mere seconds.
- Easy to Clean: Thermometer should always be cleaned every time you use. Thermometer that is easy to clean would make the whole process a lot easier for you.
- Consistency: You would always want a thermometer that should give you accurate readings even after multiple uses.
- The right temperature: Thermometers are available in different temperature scales. It is crucial to buy the thermometer that has a scale you understand.
- Speed: The emphasis on how quickly your thermometer can give results may not be that much important since every thermometer these days gives reading in about 10 seconds. However having a quick resulting device in your possession may be beneficial.
Special Features of a Rectal Thermometer:
- Safety: Rectal thermometers contain a flexible probe tip that provides a safer way to take rectal temperature readings.
- Digital: Rectal thermometers are often digitalized consisting of an on/off button and a digital scale showing the temperature.
- Screen: The digital screen is large and has a lit display.
- Accuracy: Provides the accurate readings as the rectal temperature is the closest to the infant’s core temperature.
Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer[product_des position="right" product_name="Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer" aff_link="https://aax-us-east.amazon-adsystem.com/x/c/QuVM7sv63qlajlma9eNZH-EAAAFfxHi41wEAAAFKAQQyyUA/https://assoc-redirect.amazon.com/g/r/https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AHVZU/ref=as_at/?creativeASIN=B0002AHVZU&imprToken=2vVOxhwJeGNdlPVsxz7foA&slotNum=0&ie=UTF8&linkCode=w61&tag=outdooactiv02-20&linkId=3285ee50e26215f126125a21279b5b4c" img_link="https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51zGr%2BzcaBL._SY679_.jpg"][/product_des]
Vicks has remained undoubtedly the best medical supply selling company for the past decade. Their products are satisfying millions of customers not only in the United States but worldwide.
Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer is no exception! Its unique design and a number of useful features set it apart from the rest. It checks in the safety of your child with a probe that is flexible and refrains from going too far in the rectum.
This rectal thermometer provides you with fast and accurate readings and is fully digitized. Rectal thermometers have always made parents uneasy and question the method, as it requires the insertion of thermometer in a very uncomfortable place of your infant.
All things aside, Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer aims to remove this wrong thought process by providing parents with an easy to use, totally safe rectal temperature measurement device.
Vicks Rectal thermometer has won several awards for its excellence including 2005 IDSA and MDEA awards for quality design.
Features of Baby Rectal Thermometer by Vicks:
- Can be used with infants as well as with toddlers and children.
- Design is unique and has a flexible probe that eases the insertion process.
- Extremely accurate and shows reading in mere 10 seconds.
- Reminds after the completion of reading by producing beeping noises.
- Has a memory system that can show the last temperature that was taken.
- Can be easily cleaned and is water resistant.
- Intelligent design that contributes to easy and safe handling of the thermometer.
Pros & Cons of Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer
Why we choose it:
- Cost efficient and cheap, fits perfectly in your budget.
- Provides highly accurate measurements without any faults.
- Great temperature measuring tool for newborns and infants.
Keep in mind
- There is a shock factor involved.
- Can sometimes stop working.
After all the above facts, the bottom line that stands out is that Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer is extremely efficient as evident from its many attracting features and few shortcomings. It is indeed the best rectal thermometer out there and is perfectly safe for your newborn.