Things that you should consider before buying any Baby Thermometer:
- Consistency: it is always recommended to choose a thermometer that is consistent because nobody wants the reading to be different if taken the same time over and over again.
- Accuracy: this the major factor for any kind of thermometer you purchase for your baby. Whenever you detect a fever in your child, make sure that you have an accurate thermometer so that the temperature you’re getting is correct.
- Complexity: this completely depends upon the thermometer. Some of them are operated by the touch of a single button whereas some of them come with additional buttons and features. These thermometers allow saving the readings and you also display the history details. It is not necessary to buy the complex ones. When it comes to babies, simple is the best.
- Speed: babies tend to have low patience level and start to wrangle whenever you start poking or prodding. Holding on the thermometer for too long can make your baby impatient and these results in getting an inaccurate reading. Thermometers which record the temperatures are recommended over the slow ones.
- Sound and back light display: there are some thermometers which make a noise once the reading cycle is complete. Whereas there are a few thermometers which come with a backlight display and make the temperature reading visible when during night. This prevents you from switching on the light and disrupting babies sleep.
Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer
Features of Baby Rectal Thermometer by Vicks:
- Can be used with infants as well as with toddlers and children.
- The design is unique and has a flexible probe that eases the insertion process.
- Extremely accurate and shows reading in mere 10 seconds.
- Reminds after the completion of reading by producing beeping noises.
- Has a memory system that can show the last temperature that was taken.
- Can be easily cleaned and is water resistant.
- Intelligent design that contributes to easy and safe handling of the thermometer.
Pros & Cons of Vicks Baby Rectal Thermometer:
Why do I need a Baby Thermometer?
Babies tend to fall sick during their first year and they have no way to tell their parents how they feel and that they are not well. All they can do is cry when they suffer from flu or other sicknesses. This might be heartbreaking as well as pretty dangerous.
The one and only best solution to this problem are buying a good, accurate baby thermometer. If you don’t have one yet, you should get one as a baby’s thermometer should be any parent’s arsenal.
But the problem is that you just cannot run out and buy any old thermometer. There are thermometers that are specially made for infants and provide accurate readings.
Some of the infant’s thermometer is discussed below.
Temporal artery thermometers
These types of thermometers are new on the market. They are the most expensive lot of thermometers. They fall under the forehead thermometer category. These thermometers make use of infrared technology to measure and scan the temperature of the temporal artery on the forehead.
It is the safest kind of thermometer for your kid and is convenient to use. They give accurate readings are often used in many hospitals. It works accurately for children who are 3 months and older.
For children under 3 months, you need to double-check the temperature with a rectal thermometer for better accuracy.
they are considered to be one of the most accurate thermometers to check a baby’s temperature. The ones with a flexible tip and a wide base are comfortable and vital for checking the temperature of infants.
They are like the digital thermometers which come with an on and off button feature, a digital screen and a probe. Using it to take an oral temperature on a baby is highly not recommended.
Ear canal thermometers
These types of thermometers are easy to use and are readily available in the market. It is best suited for children who are over 4 months old. You simply place it in the ear and get an accurate reading.
It should be avoided for children who are younger than 4 months because their ear canals are too narrow. This would prevent from getting an accurate reading.
they are completely safe and easy to use and give the accurate reading. You simply place the thermometer under the infant’s tongue for a few moments. This gives out the reading. It is recommended for children above 4 years.
What are the most accurate Types of Thermometers?
These type of thermometers are the most commonly available thermometers that use heat and electronic sensors to measure the temperature of the body. It can be put in the armpit, mouth, or rectum of the patient to know the exact body temperature.
Armpit Thermometers aren't as accurate as the other two. For children who are below the age of three, rectum thermometers give the best readings. The rest use oral thermometers to measure the temperature.
Digital Ear thermometers
Tympanic or Digital Ear thermometers make use of the infrared rays in order to record the temperature of a person. This is taken from the ears. These thermometers are not only quick and easy but they also keep the person comfortable.
Digital Pacifier Thermometers
It is designed for kids. In this type of thermometer, a child sucks the pacifier in the thermometers to record the temperature. It is not suitable for newborn babies. Your child needs to hold the pacifier still and suck it for about three minutes.
Temporary Artery Thermometers
These thermometers come as those for your forehead. With the help of a scanner that is Infrared, the temperature is measured. The temporal artery’s temperature is measured.
Baby Thermometer Safety Issues
If you ever noticed that your child’s forehead is too hot, do not panic. It is an indication of a fever. All you need is a baby thermometer. Before racing down to your doctor, use the baby thermometer to get an accurate reading of your baby’s body temperature.
There are several thermometer options available in the market which tends to give you an accurate reading. Baby thermometers offer you many advantages but all you need is to consider some of the safety precautions while using it. They are as follows:
- Using a glass mercury thermometer is not recommended. You just need to throw away the mercury thermometers as mercury turns out to be very dangerous. Thermometers that are made from glass material contain mercury in them which serves as a poison. It might break and allow the mercury to vaporize and be inhaled. This in turn, targets the brain and creates an impact on your baby’s memory, language, attention and cognitive thinking.Instead of the mercury thermometers, try to use the digital ones. For example, digital ear thermometer, temporal artery thermometer.
- Cleaning the thermometer is an important task. It is always recommended to clean the thermometer first before using it. You can make use of rubbing alcohol, soap and lukewarm water to clean your baby’s thermometer. This prevents the growth of bacteria and germs. Make sure that when you use the thermometer to touch the baby’s ear, mouth or skin, the tip of the thermometer is always clean.
- If possible, try to buy different thermometers. For example, if you are using a digital thermometer for taking rectal temperatures, then make use of another one for taking oral temperature reading. It is always recommended not to use the same thermometer for both locations. Your baby might end up getting an infection. No matter how much you clean your thermometer, using a different one is considered to be safe. In order to remove the confusion, label the thermometers appropriately.
- Using a regular oral thermometer is not appropriate. The baby cannot hold the thermometer properly with their tongue which might give you an incorrect reading. Many of the parents use the same oral thermometer to monitor a temperature by placing it under the baby’s arm. But this turns out to be the least accurate ways to measure your baby’s temperature.
- The most important factor one must look before buying a thermometer is its accuracy. Chose a thermometer which gives you accurate reading. For example, if you are having an ear thermometer, make use of the one which is manufactured for small ear canal. This would ensure that you get an accurate reading.
- It is always recommended to buy a thermometer which makes sound once the reading cycle is complete. In this way you can avoid confusion whether you are trying to view the old temperature reading or not. Some of the parents avoid buying a thermometer with sound as they believe that the sound might disrupt their baby’s sleep.
- It is often seen that babies fall sick at night. A thermometer with just a digital read-out is not enough. You may find difficulties while reading the temperature. So try to buy a thermometer which has a backlight display so that see it at night without snuggling your sick baby.
- Another safety precaution related to baby thermometer is that try to avoid using the thermometer near any gases or flammable liquids. As you all know that whenever a laser beam comes in contact with a combustible surface, it naturally causes an explosion. By doing so, you can avoid an explosion or fire.
- Never ever leave your child unattended while using a thermometer. Make sure that you keep the thermometer in place after using it. This will prevent any kind of accidents.
- Many parents make use of multi-purpose thermometers as it is very easy to use and has no settings to mess around with. This is highly not recommending as you might end up getting inaccurate readings.
How to choose the right Baby Thermometer for Your Baby?
Choosing the right baby thermometer for the baby can be a daunting task when you are not completely informed.
Fretting while cradling a baby having a fever is an experience every mother shall have. And thus, there needs to be complete insight on what works best for your child. Here are some of the ways to choose the right baby thermometer for your baby!
The accuracy of detecting the right temperature is the prime need of a good thermometer. The baby thermometer should be able to tell you the exact temperature without mistake and thus you should go for the ones which are trusted by experts for its accuracy.
Look for the accuracy ratings, expert reviews and recommendations to pick the one that is best suited.
Consistent and supportive-
It can be worrying to find that the thermometer works fine once and the second time it shows something really scary. Sometimes the thermometer doesn’t even last more than 2-3 uses.
It is important to find the baby thermometer which is consistent with its right readings and supports for a long time. You don’t want to run for a new thermometer in the middle of the night.
Thermometers by age-
There are thermometers which are designed as per age. Therefore, selecting the ones which suit your baby age the most is preferred.
The thermometers come in age brackets like 3 months and below, 3 months to 1 year, 1 year to 5 years, 5 years and above. Check the right box and pick the one which works for your baby!
Unit of Measurement-
The scales or the digital screen of the thermometers show display of temperature in either Celsius of Fahrenheit. Very few thermometers support both the formats of reading and therefore it is recommended to check on the unit of measurement preferred by you.
This is important to avoid confusion and will save you from going into the calculations when you have a sick baby in your lap.
There are also some light flashing thermometers available which don’t require you to read the markings but beep or show colors according to the temperature. Red for high fever orange for less – they can be of help too!
The speed of thermometers-
Babies of all age deter the use of machines on them and might get scared too. You shall need some speed thermometers which makes use of the baby patience and detects the temperature in a jiffy.
This works especially when you are dealing with babies of 1 years and above. They tend to run away or not sit in peace for you to detect their temperature. Therefore, having a speedy thermometer handy shall be quite a help!
Thermometers today come in all forms of technology-aided benefits. It is upon you to filter the choices and pick the one you want.
You might need a lot of assistance like sync with mobile apps, infrared technology, no touch reading and more or just a simple rectal thermometer would do the job just fine. Note that the technology shall make the process complex and time-consuming. Choose the thermometer accordingly!
There are thermometers that facilitate readings with a beep. When the time to analyze is done it beeps helping you check the readings on time.
However, some parents complain of the sound as it wakes the baby or scares them. While the beep definitely facilitates in knowing if it is the current reading, improves accuracy and saves on time – the choice is on you!
Rather from picking the ones which have a scale and do not provide for a night reading, put hands on the ones which have a LED display with dark read support.
When the baby is sick at night you don’t want to switch on the light for reading the temperature. The display screen glows in the dark to help you get the reading when the baby is sound asleep.
Thermometers are made of different materials today – from glasses, plastics, fibers and even silicon’s. You don’t want to put a plastic thermometer on your baby’s mouth. Choose from the one you would like to invest in and is hygienic to use too.
Choose the best thermometer for your baby that eases you to check on them! Go for more trusted reviews, expert recommendations, and trusted brands!
Choose from the Best Thermometer by Age
Not all thermometers are suitable for all ages. Where the kids need something that is less scary and more accurate, the adults need a thermometer which is quick to use! Here are some of the best thermometers by age!
For newly born infants-
When it comes to newly born babies and checking their body temperature or fever – using a rectal thermometer is highly recommended. A rectal thermometer has a mercury tip which checks on the temperature and reflects it on the scale that is attached to it.
It takes about a minute of it put into the mouth of the baby or under-arms to give the right temperature on the scale. While most of the times people are scared of using it on their baby for fear of inserting it too much inside – no other thermometer does the job as fairly as this one would.
The rectal thermometers today are available with a little wide tip so that it doesn’t hurt the baby’s mouth.
For babies 3 months to 1 year-
After passing the critical stage of 3 months the baby is very much normal and open to atleast the careful use of better thermometers. At this age the new introductions like the forehead artery thermometers can be used.
These thermometers function on the basis of infrared technology which doesn’t even need touching the skin of the baby. You just have to put it near the baby forehead and it shall read the temperature accurately.
However, it is still recommended to use the rectal thermometer for additional safety and accuracy. Because when it comes to babies accuracy is more important that technology!
For kids above 1 year to 5 years-
When the kid is above one year they tend to run away from anything that shows sign of sharp – edgy devices meant for some treatment. They can make sense of medicines and thus checking their temperature can be a task.
For this one is recommended to either use the rectal thermometer while the kid is sleeping or pick up from some of the fancy design thermometer that are available in the market easily. You can also choose the baby ear thermometer which doesn’t require inserting into the mouth.
These can be put into the ears, under arms or rectally to get the reading in just 2 seconds. Its quick result can help you in getting the reading done even when the child is playing or running away from the thermometer.
For kids, 5 years and above-
The kids of 5 years of age are smart enough to understand the effects of diseases. They feel the fever intensely and hence using the thermometers with them isn’t much of an issue.
For them the thermometers like rectal thermometers, oral thermometer, armpit thermometer, ear thermometer and even the temporal artery work just fine. The use of the latest technology can be aided to get the reading done faster and better.
Parents and Adults Thermometer:
The best oral thermometer for parents is the Vicks ComfortFlex which comes as an easy read thermometer with oral use.
It helps not only in getting an accurate reading but also beeps and shows yellow, green or red colour depending on the body temperature – reflecting the fever! It is exceptional good for someone who cannot decipher how much temperature is too much!
Forehead thermometers are a big hit amongst the adults as they are quick to use, easy displaying and also doesn’t require any oral use. The technology helps in reading the forehead artery with or without the touch showing the temperature reading in just 10 seconds or less.
Some of the best forehead thermometers are: iProven ear and forehead thermometer and Braun Forehead thermometer.
The ear thermometer like the forehead ones is quick and easy to use anytime and anywhere. But it might not be preferred by the ones who need a more handy option.
There are models which are technology approved and can be synced with an app on the phone to give you good reading of body temperature control and insights too. These can be used on the forehead too. One such example is the KINSA EAR
The thermometers can make reading accurate reading possible without being a total problem when they are used according to age. Know and pick the best one suited!